A really simple (and cheap) recipe!
I finally done some for my husband, we was always asking for.. haha!
3 x 500ml jars
* 8 cups red onions wedges (about 3 pounds)
* 4 cups red wine vinegar
* 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon Herbes de Provence
* 3 glass jars (500ml)
* Start by washing jars.
* In a large pot, boil water. Boil your (Mason) jars to sterilize them. Turn off the heat. Leave the jars in water until use.
* Peel and cut onions.
* In a pot, combine wine vinegar and garlic. Bring to boil. Simmer for about 5-6 minutes. Add the onions wedges and the tablespoon of Herbes de Provence. Reduce heat and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Don’t over cook the onions.
* Remove from heat.
* Pour the mixture in the jars. Be careful not to overfill. Leave 1 cm (half inch) of space.
* With a wooden stick, remove all air bubbles in the jars.
* Put the lid, but do not overtighten.
* In a pot of water, put the jars and boil the water. For 500ml jars, it takes about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat, remove the cover and wait 5 minutes.
* Remove from water, place on a cloth and stop touching them.
* Wait to hear a POP to tighten the lid completely. (If the jar does not POP, do again the step in the water.)
* Wait until the jars are room temperature before storing.