This morning Dalie and I made awesome cupcakes (oh yeahhhhhh made of beets!! muahahhahaa!)
I had some cooked beets in the fridge so I thought it would be fun to make cupcakes with them. In the past I had try many recipes, but this time I tried one (but I made some changes like adding orange, less cooking time and using sunflower milk) from MINIMALIST BAKER . I thought 25 minutes of cooking was way too long.. after 20 minutes they were PERFECT, so moist and fluffy, they taste like heaven, hehe.
You should all try it at least once. Even the one who hates beets should try it! The cupcakes don’t taste like beets at all. Mine taste like chocolate and orange. That’s it! the beet puree is adding so much moisture, it’s super delicious!
* 1 cup sunflower milk
(or any other non-dairy milk)
* 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
* 1/2 cup of beet puree
(I used 4 small cooked beets)
* Zest of one orange
* 3/4 cup granulated sugar
* 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
* 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
* 1 cup + 1 tablespoon all-purposed flour
* 1/2 cup pure cocoa powder
(more if you want to decorate the cupcakes with some)
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* pinch of salt
* Preheat oven to 375′F.
* Whisk together the sunflower milk and vinegar in a bowl, and set aside for a few minutes.
* In a stand mixer bowl or in a regular bowl, pour the milk mixture. Add the sugar, coconut oil, vanilla extract, orange zest and beet puree. Beat for few minutes.
In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
* Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture.
* Beat on high speed for 2-3 minutes to incorporate air bubbles in the cake batter. Once cooked they will be all fluffy and moist.
* Spoon the mixture into muffin pan and bake. (I’m always using silicone! No need to throw papers!)
* Bake for about 20 minutes. If a toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are ready.
* Remove from the oven and let cool.