The other day I wanted to try a funky snack and since I know my big girl and husband are big fans of popcorn.. I searched in all my vegan books and found an awesome recipe to make vegan caramel popcorn.
I found it in my book called LICKIN’ THE BEATERS 2 (if you click on the name you’ll see the book on amazon.ca ) I was very pleased with the result! It’s soooooooo delicious! It was so hard not to eat the whole baking sheet in one shot, hahahaha!
* 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
* 6 tablespoons margarine
(to make them vegan, be sure that your margarine is really vegan)
* 3 tablespoons corn syrup
* 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
*1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 7-8 cups popped popcorn
(without any flavor or butter, I use regular unpopped kernel and popped them myself with my popcorn maker)
* Preheat oven to 300’F
* In a pot, combine the brown sugar, margarine and corn syrup. Stir and cook over medium heat until the mixture is boiling. Without stirring continue to cook another 2-3 minutes.
* Remove the pot from heat, stir in vanilla extract and baking soda.
* In a bowl place the popcorn. Pour the caramel over the popcorn and gently stir to coat.
*Transfer the popcorn on a large baking sheet. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, stir them and return them to the oven for another 5 minutes.
* Remove from the oven and let the popcorn cool for few minutes. I waited about 30 minutes, to let the caramel set on the popcorn.
* Serve and Enjoy!