Today I saw on a friend’s facebook a link for a vegan loaf recipe, I went to read it and felt in love (haha) so I tried it! The original recipe is from THE SIMPLE VEGANISTA and the link for the recipe is HERE. The final product was soooooo delicious, in fact the most delicious vegan loaf I ever tasted. In my life I tried a lot of vegan or vegetarian loaves but that one.. damn it’s addictive! A month before my due date I will cook a ton of meals to put in our big freezer downstairs (that look like a fridge) to be ready for the arrival of our 3rd child and let me tell you that I’ll be making this recipe!!! I didn’t used celery or chipotle pepper like in the recipe. I changed the celery for another carrot. I also added more garlic and maple syrup. Next time I’ll do more glaze and maybe use some nuts too.
So tonight’s dinner was the loaf, with a fruity couscous salad and steamed veggies (carrots, sweet potatoes, corn and edamame)
* 1 cup cooked green lentils
( 3/4 cup will be pureed, the other 1/4 cup will be left like that)
* 3 tablespoons flax seed meal
(I grounded flax seeds)
* 1/3 cup water
(for the flax mixture, to replace egg)
* Olive oil
* 5 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
* 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
* 3/4 cups old fashioned oats
* 1/2 cup oat flour
(I don’t have oat flour in my pantry so I grind some oats to make my own flour)
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/2 teaspoon cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* Salt and pepper (to taste)
* 3 tablespoons ketchup
* 1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
* 1 1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
* For the lentils (1 cup), keep 1/4 cup like they are in a bowl and puree the other 3/4 cup. set aside.
* Preheat oven to 350′F
* In a small bowl, combine the flax meal and the water (1/3 cup). Mix. Let rest for a good 10-15 minutes (in the fridge is a good idea). It will form a kind of jelly. It will be used as a binder in the loaf.
* In a pan, heat oil. Saute the garlic and the veggies for 4-5 minutes, then add the spices. Remove from heat.
* In a large bowl combine the two forms of lentils, the veggies, the flax ”egg”’, the oat flour and the oats. Mix well.
* In a loaf pan (mine is in silicone but if you use a metal pan, put parchment paper before putting the mixture in the pan), press down the lentil mixture.
* To make the glaze, combine the 3 ingredients in a small bowl and mix.
* Spread the glaze over the loaf.
* Cook for around 45 minutes. Remove from oven then wait few minutes before slicing it.
* Serve and Enjoy!