First of all, that dish is kind of spicy, not the spicy that makes you drink a gallon of water but just enough. My 11 months old son liked that soup, but he like spicy food, especially Indian food, hehe.
I love using the slow cooker, it’s so easy, so quick, doesn’t use a lot of electricity and few hours later everything is done, how fun is that! I found a recipe that looked like that in a book I have about vegetarian slow cooker recipes, so I kept the idea in mind. Next time I’ll try with enoki mushrooms, you know that long and thin weird looking white mushrooms.. The funny thing is that almost all the spicy flavor is when you eat the bok choy, hehe. My husband (sine just like me he’s working out each day and is kind of dieting) was very pleased with that soup, not a lot of calories, he was feeling full after and it’s only good thing for him (and the rest of the family too).
I love soups, especially during winter.. because in Quebec Spring doesnt look like if it was coming any days.. we had a storm last week and now it’s cold. Sunny but not hot to make all that snow melt. I cannot wait to be spring/summer so I’ll be able to work on my garden with my big girl. Send us some sunshine hereeeeee! Buh!
* 3/4 pound (350 g) of bok choy
(I used 2 mini boy choy)
* 1 pound extra firm tofu, pressed and diced
(Pressing is optional, but I always do it here)
* 1/2 pound (225 g) white mushrooms, sliced
(You can use another kind too such a crimini)
* 5 garlic cloves, minced
* 4 cups water
* 4 cups vegetable broth
* 1 teaspoon sambal olek
* 1 teaspoon crushed chili peppers
* Salt (to taste)
* 1/4 pound (115 g) shitake mushrooms, sliced
* 250 g rice vermicelli (4 squares)
(I used spinach pasta, but you can use regular too)
* Separate the leaves from the bok choy and wash them. Place them all on the bottom of the slow cooker.
* Add the rest of the ingredients on top of the bok choy.
* Close the lid and cook for 6 hours on low. Add the shitake and cook for another 15-20 minutes to prevent the shitake mushrooms from getting mushy.
* Cook the rice vermicelli.
* In a bowl, place the noodle first, then the soup.
* Serve and Enjoy.