This recipe may sound weird because of the banana in it, but trust me, it’s super delicious! After one bowl you are super full, haha!
I love these kind of dishes, not only because I’m a big fan of curries (hehe) but because it’s delicious, fast, healthy and.. cheap! I calculated how much it cost me (I love to do that) and it was under 3$ (I buy dry beans and it’s squash season so it’s normal to have them for 0.79$/pound here).. for 4 people!! What can you have for 0.75$ at a restaurant? hahaha NOTHING! I love to cook because it’s just the perfect thing to do, it’s healthier, greener (than buying all ready made stuff with tons of packaging) , tastier and cheaper. I hope one day I will see my kids do the same for themselves and their families.
* 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
* 3 cloves of garlic, minced
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1 teaspoon ground coriander
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 medium size acorn squash (around 1 1/2 pound), peeled and diced
* 2 1/2 tablespoons curry paste
* 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
* 1 1/4 cups vegetable stock
* 2 cups cooked chickpeas
* 1 large banana (not super ripe and dark, greener is better, hehe)
* Rice (optional)
* In a pot over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil, then cook garlic, onion and spices for 4-5 minutes or until the onion starts to turn golden.
* In another bowl, combine the squash and the curry. Toss well to coat the squash evenly.
* Add the tomatoes and the vegetable stock to the pot with onions. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
* In a pan heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add the squash and cook for 5-6 minutes. (Doing this prevents the squash from becoming super mushy while cooking in liquid) Add the squash and the chickpeas to the simmering pot. Cover and cook for another 15- 20 minutes or until the squash is tender.
* Peel and slice the banana. Stir it into the curry then continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
* Remove from heat.
* Serve over Basmati rice and Enjoy! (Mine is yellow because I added turmeric in the cooking water)