Like every Friday (heh there’s some others days too, but each Friday without any exceptions…) we eat a vegan or vegetarian dish. Tonight I made some vegan sloppy joes, it was super delicious! Who needs meat when you can eat that, hehe!
* 1 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 medium onions, chopped
* 2 cloves of garlic, minced
* 1/3 cup chopped bell pepper (about half a pepper, I used a orange bell pepper)
* 1/3 cup grated carrot (1 small carrot)
* 1 1/2 cups cooked lentils
* 1/4 cup tomato paste
* 1 cup diced tomatoes (I used homemade)
* 1 tablespoon Cajun spices
* 1 teaspoon turmeric
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* salt/pepper to taste
* 1/2 cup cooked whole grain rice
* 1/4 cup cornmeal
* 4-6 buns (I used multigrain flat bread)
* In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic. Add the carrot and pepper. Cook until the veggies are tender.
* Stir in lentils, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, spices and simmer for 5-6 minutes (still over medium heat). Add cornmeal and continue to simmer for another 8-10 minutes.
* In a food processor, combine rice and about a cup of lentil preparation. Reduce to a puree. Return the puree to the mixture. Mix.
* Serve with buns and enjoy! ( We added lettuce)