I’m a huge fan of soups, in fact my husband is one too, it’s the perfect meal, always easy, fast, delicious, nutritious and we can do it with about everything we have in our fridge!!
Since my man doesn’t like to eat something without a source of proteins (kidney beans is 11g of proteins by 1 cup)… I add some beans! But heh it was super good!
Barley is fantastic, such a great source of fiber and contains iron! What can you ask more!! (I love barley.. in soups, in salads, in a risotto like dish..) Sweet potatoes are a very awesome source of vitamin A (beta-carotene…in one potato you have about 400% of your daily needs…). I know, I know, I focus a lot on what’s inside what I eat, but no choice, I’m pregnant again and after 18 months of trying and fertility drugs, I want a healthy baby! (not that usually I badly eat.. totally the opposite! I always eat good food).
After one bowl, you feel so full, no need for another one.
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 2 stalks celery, chopped
* 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1/3 cup uncooked barley
* 1/2 teaspoon ground curry
* 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
* Olive oil
* 6 cups vegetable broth
* 2 cups water
* 1 medium sweet potato, peeled, diced
* 1 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (I used the one I made last Fall)
* 2 cups cooked kidney beans ( I used the small version of kidney beans, hehe)
* salt and pepper to taste
* Wash, peel and cut veggies
* In a large pot, heat (medium-high) olive oil, onion, garlic, celery, carrots, barley and spices.
* Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20-25 minutes.
* Add sweet potato, beans and tomatoes. Cook for another 20 minutes.
* When the vegetables and the barley are tender, remove from heat.
* Serve with homemade bread and enjoy!