And I can tell you… it was delicious!
I had the idea of making this casserole when I opened yesterday the refrigerator and saw that I had 3 cauliflowers.. I made some lentil soup.. and today a cauliflower casserole. Like i always says… No waste!
* 1 1/2 small cauliflower (about 7 cups cauliflower florets)
* 1/2 small broccoli (about 2 cups florets)
* 1 red bell pepper
* 1 large onion
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
* 5 tablespoons flour
* 2 1/2 cup milk
* 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 1/4 cup fine bread crumbs (I used homemade)
* 2 cups grated aged cheddar
* Wash, and cut vegetables.
* Steam the broccoli and cauliflower for about 5 minutes (they have to remain crispy).
* In a skillet cook onion, pepper and garlic until the onions are tender.
* In a casserole dish, combine steamed veggies with the onion mixture. Set aside.
* Preheat oven to 400’F.
* In a pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add flour, whisk for about 1 minute. Add milk, salt, pepper and Herbes de Provence. Cook while stirring frequently until the béchamel sauce (white sauce) is a lot thicker. Remove from heat and pour over the veggies.
* Sprinkle with breadcrumbs then add grated cheese.
* Cook for 25 minutes. (I used the broil setting for the 2 last minutes to have golden crispy cheese)
* Serve and enjoy!