Don’t forget to wear gloves or to wash hands with soap more than one time when touching hot peppers to avoid finishing with their oil on our hands and then in one eye.
Damn! That was hot.. my face and arm skin were all red, my eyes were filled with tears … I looked like an idiot with my gloves, safety goggles and turtleneck over my mouth… hahahah! All this trouble to make a surprise for my husband who loves hot peppers! Really hope he likes them!
4 x 250ml jars
* 1 pound cayenne peppers
* 2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
* 2/3 cup water
* 2 1/2 teaspoons canning salt
* 2 teaspoons celery seeds ( 1/2 tsp in each jar)
* 4 teaspoons mustard seeds ( 1 tsp in each jar)
* 4 glass jars (250ml)
* Start by washing peppers and jars. (Please wear gloves!)
* In a large pot, boil water. Boil your (Mason) jars to sterilize them. Turn off the heat. Leave the jars in water until use.
* Slice the peppers. Remove seeds and middles of the peppers.
* Run them under cold water to remove remaining seeds.
* In a pot, combine water, cider vinegar and canning salt. Heat without boiling until the salt is completely dissolved.
* Remove jars from the water. In each one put 1/2 teaspoons of celery seeds and 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds. Pack peppers.
* Pour the vinegar mixture in the jars. Be careful not to overfill. Leave 1 cm (half inch) of space.
* With a wooden stick, remove all air bubbles in the jars.
* Put the lid, but do not over tighten.
* In a pot of water, put the jars and boil the water. For 250ml jars, it takes about 10 minutes.
* Remove from water, place on a cloth and stop touching them.
* Wait to hear a POP to tighten the lid completely. (If the jar does not POP, do again the step in the water.)
* Wait until the jars are room temperature before storing.